SENIOR YEAR 2024

SENIOR YEAR 2024

Graduation ceremonies happen every year, but for the class of 2024, things leading up to that time of year have been contentious. As the school year begins to draw to an end for the graduating class, concerns about grades and graduation are growing. Finals for seniors are no longer optional; exemptions can only be earned if a student has five or less excused absences with no unexcused absences, in addition to maintaining a “B” average.

Some seniors are upset over this new policy. Seniors such as Antonia Mendez feel, “Finals should stay optional for seniors as it has been the previous years. Some students do not have the ability to test, so a final could decrease their grade….” Despite this, seniors are still excited to get their diploma and celebrate their accomplishments with friends and family. They have applied to colleges; they are choosing their careers and majors. All are having to adjust to the idea that their high school experience ends in three months. “I am just ready and prepared to get that diploma in my hand then be done,” said Senior Ashley Gonzales.

Seniors’ mental health is worsening as they learn to cope with the world after stepping outside of high school. Most seniors have jobs after school and finding time for mental health care is a struggle. School and work are a lot to balance, but employment offers soft skills necessary later in life. For some, working is a necessity, as they need money to support themselves or their families. Keeping up with the amount of school assignments on top of this can make students feel less accomplished. “(I’m) anxious because I do not want to graduate. After graduation I will have a lot of responsibilities I was not prepared for,” Senior Ella Hernanadez said. The struggle of the senior class this year, more than ever, is clear.