Warhill Times

The Student News Site of Warhill High School

Warhill Times

Warhill Times

Warhill Homecoming Game Against Tabb Secures the School’s First 9-0 Winning Streak

Since the school’s creation in 2007, the football team has never had an undefeated winning streak. The homecoming game against Tabb continues its longest streak.
Isabella Frazer

On Friday, October 27, 2023, students from Warhill and Tabb High Schools gathered at Wanner Stadium for Warhill’s homecoming game. The theme of the night was Halloween, in honor of the upcoming holiday. Students in costumes such as Ninja Turtles, angels, cowboys, and dinosaurs could be seen in the Warhill student section. The game was kicked off by the “National Anthem” sung by the Warhill choir. Both teams were then introduced and led on to the field with Warhill’s team running out of a large inflatable Warhill themed football helmet. Tabb suffered an undisclosed injury during the second quarter with the score at 7-0, leaving Warhill with a seven-point advantage. Also in the second quarter, Warhill scored their second touchdown, upping the score to 14-0. Right as the second quarter ended, Warhill scored an extra three points, leaving the score 17-0 when halftime started.
The halftime show consisted of a performance from Warhill band and color guard. The band performed “Come Sail Away,” “Medea’s Dance of Vengeance,” “Salvation Created” and then “Come Sail Away” again. The color guard performed with a number based off “Uncharted,” in all white dresses or a white shirt and beige pants, with their flags printed with compasses. They then left the field with the band in a “W” formation. Warhill continued to score until the final quarter where the game was settled at 37-6, when Tabb conceded. The student section exploded into applause. The players from both teams formed two lines to the tradition of shaking hands to congratulate on a good game for both sides.
When asked if he expected the game to go as smoothly as it did, Coach Rhodes stated, “Well it certainly wasn’t smooth” adding that he did not know where the game was going but had faith in his team’s players and their practice. Coach Rhodes has been Warhill’s coach for five years and in that time, Warhill has never had a completely undefeated season. This year looks like it might change that, with the Tabb game putting the score at nine won zero lost and only the game with Jamestown to go.